Wednesday 12 January 2011

Penguin End Days Brief


One of my latest design briefs at uni was to re-design one of the Penguin End days collection. We were given a list consisting of titles such as Children of Men and No Blade of Grass. I chose I am Legend; my approach was to communicate the 2 main themes of the book, loneliness and defeat, through a game of chess. Doing this gave me a chance to work with a landscape image instead of working portrait which is something that is not easy to achieve on book covers. I also cut away the top and bottom of the image to give the effect of us looking in on the person in the book. This makes the reader feel like part of the story, putting them in the place of the new species.


I wanted to get away from the computer as much as possible, so I set up my own photoshoot in the studio and also designed my own typography for the book. We also got the chance to have our work viewed by Jon Grinrod of Faber and Faber publishing company, who said he 'would be happy to see this piece of work as a 'real' project'. That was a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment